Fly Aware Program
TTAD has developed an innovative pilot safety awareness program that addresses the unique challenges of a mountain airport. The program includes hosting regional safety seminars, conducting out-of-area road shows designed to educate pilots before they visit, posting signage around the airport, and hosting the "Ask a Local" program where local pilots staff the UNICOM Operations Center.
- Density Altitude - In the summer, density altitudes often exceed 9,000'
- Weight and Balance - Check CG within limits and below max gross weight
- Fuel Mixture - Lean for higher elevation performance
- Wind Shear - Terrain can cause shifting winds
- Wildlife - Deer, coyotes and an occasional bear can be seen on runways
- Be Alert for Aircraft - See and avoid aircraft, communicate your position
If you're unsure about operations near, on or around our airport, please call UNICOM to speak with our friendly airport staff - many of whom are local pilots who can help you plan your trip safely.
➤ The Legend of Duckee Tahoe (3 min musical video on mountain flying at KTRK)